Scraped clean in the last ice age, the near north of Ontario is a landscape of fragmented rock and precisely balanced boulders left by retreating glaciers. The very skin of the world is exposed and its interaction with the rich ecosystem it now supports is explicit.
Combining subtly described surfaces and marks with photography, these images refer to this graphically abundant environment in compositions as delicately balanced as the relationship of climate, biome, and terrain to which they refer.
I photographed growing and moving elements of the landscape using intentional camera movement and multiple exposures, responding directly to their essence. Working digitally, I unified these rendered moments with graphic responses to the rock which sustains them. Drawn marks and textures honor the long etched story of the stone, inscribed through millennia by movement, climate, and humanity.
Environment and human response are joined in moments of equipoise, stable but potentially ephemeral, speaking of constant transition and fundamental interdependence.
- All prints are sold unframed.
- I individually inspect, sign and number each and every print that leaves my studio.
- Prints are carefully wrapped and packaged in a flat mailer or rigid tube for shipping to you.
- In addition to being signed and numbered on the print, each print is accompanied by a certificate of authenticity and an artist biography and statement to add to your collection records.
- Obscure technical details: the series is printed on heavy acid-free fine art paper using archival inks, so your print can expect a long life. (For maximum lifespan, frame any print using acid-free materials, and avoid hanging in extreme humidity environments, such as a room with a shower).
Still not sure? Email me at firstname.lastname@example.org. I’d be so happy to work with you to make sure you get the perfect piece or group for your space.